Re: [Exim] locking question.

Autor: John Jetmore
A: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] locking question.
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Dave C. wrote:

> Just a note - exims ability to deliver mail does not hinge on it being
> able to lock, or even access, its hints db. It doesnt prevent mail from
> being delivered, if it cant update a hint, it just goes on without them
> without any ill effect.

In theory, yes, and I dealt with the problem temorarily by just deleting
the retry* files every 3 minutes. This hurts delivery efficiency however,
as down hosts continually get retried, etc.

Where this really kicked me in the balls, though, was the timeout on
trying to lock the retry db. For each message (and possibly each
recipient of each message, a try for a lock on the retry file occurred,
with a timeout of about 1 minute. This timeout was an absolute killer and
resulted in huge queues building. I managed to get the queue under
control by continually deleting the retry* files, but this is not a long
term solution.

--John