Re: [Exim] Cygwin, Exim, mail filtering (transforming, chan…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Pierre A. Humblet
CC: PDebski, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Cygwin, Exim, mail filtering (transforming, changing format)
On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> ><Administrator@???> R=localuser T=local_delivery defer
> >(32): Broken pipe: error while writing to /var/mail/administrator
>
> Your example works fine for me on Cygwin (on a WinME) as long as I give
> the absolute path, e.g. /bin/tee (the FAQ says "/your/filter/command"
> and the specs "/some/directory/transport-filter.pl ")
>
> I have looked up the code, it's using execv(). I believe that's the proper
> behavior. execvp() would lookup PATH.
>
> Philip, wish of the day:
> in this case child_close() on line 993 of transport.c
> returned EX_UNAVAILABLE, indicating problems in launching the filter.
> Reporting that error, instead of broken pipe, would be helpful.

I think the problem in doing that is in the interaction of the two
processes. The main process forks, starts writing the message down the
pipe, and hits the error, which it reports. The forked process
meanwhile, runs and bombs out. Reconciling the two errors may be tricky,
but I'll take a look at it.