Re: [Exim] Authenticated SMTP

Góra strony
Autor: Mike Richardson
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Authenticated SMTP
On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:57:12AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Mike Richardson wrote:
>
> > With exim 3 auth_hosts=MUSTAUTH:* caused all clients to have to
> > authenticate as the first thing they do, before the MAIL FROM...
> >
> > With exim 4 I don't know how to do the same. I assume its to do
> > with the ACLs but acl_check_rcpt is 'too late'.
>
> Why is it too late? All that has happened is that Exim has received the
> MAIL FROM command. It hasn't done anything with it. If you put in your
> ACL
>
> require authenticated=*
>
> the effect will be to reject every RCPT command if there was no AUTH
> before MAIL. Previously, MAIL would have been rejected. However, it is
> better to reject RCPT, because there were (maybe still are) MTAs that
> don't take a rejection of MAIL as serious. They keep trying.

Ok, that sounds good then. I only thought that it was 'too late' because
exim 3 was rejecting before the Mail From and I was trying to replicate
that behaviour with exim 4.

If you say that the above way is better than thats fine by me.

Thanks

Mike

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing