Re: [Exim] Postmaster Notify on Frozen Messages

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Cory Daehn
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Postmaster Notify on Frozen Messages
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Cory Daehn wrote:

> regularly. (Is there any way for exim to detect this and automatically
> stop accepting port 25 connections from the offending IP address either
> permanently or for a limited time with a log reflecting the IP?)

You better be sure you really want that. In many cases, causing your
primary MX to stop responding is only going to lead to the spammers
dumping the mail onto one of your secondary MXes (you do have
secondary MXes?), which just makes extra work for the task of
anti-spamming.

If it's your intention to avoid getting the mail which matches the
above profile, you'd be better to ensure that you _do_ respond to the
incoming SMTP, and give them a firmly negative answer (the
reject_recipients kind seems to go down somewhat better than the plain
reject kind, as the documentation indeed implies - I'm referring to
exim version 3 if this is relevant).

There's a few hardliners who recommend the Teergrube (tar-pit)
approach, but I think you need pretty strong nerves and very careful
admin to make that policy stick.

cheers