Re: [Exim] Postmaster Notify on Frozen Messages

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Cory Daehn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Postmaster Notify on Frozen Messages
Quoth Cory Daehn on Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:24:27 -0500
> How do I turn off this stupid Postmaster notification concerning frozen
> messages... 3000 messages every hour telling the postmaster that bounces
> are frozen is kind of ridiculous. I couldn't really care less that a
> bounced message is in the queue frozen since the system deletes them
> after 4 days anyway. The ones that are important (outbound e-mail that
> isn't a bounce) now that's another story. But it still keeps notifying
> postmaster@localhost 20 or 30 times an hour that the message is
> frozen... You'd think once would be enough. Our mail server gets
> bombed by spammers attempting to send mail to any valid address
> regularly. (Is there any way for exim to detect this and automatically
> stop accepting port 25 connections from the offending IP address either
> permanently or for a limited time with a log reflecting the IP?)

I think you will find your answer with a clever use of a greping tool
within your favorite pager while looking at the specification file.

Or you could be really bold and look at www.exim.org -> documentation
section that has a clickable index.

Or you could look at the book.

Or you could check the FAQ.

Or you could check the list archives.

I think I can sum it all up in one swift acronim: RTFM!!!

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You're welcome.

> And regarding the previous responses I've gotten as to the utter
> futility of trying to understand the exim docs... It helps to take into
> account that they're not really documentation, but a specification.
> Even if they still make stereo instructions read like a Dr. Seuss book.

Strange. Everybody else seems to manage fine.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   www.kierun.org/pgp/key-kierun