Re: [Exim] Don`t find my pop server

Autor: Alexander D Harkness
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Don`t find my pop server
[snip]
> I decided to move my mail server from my router to my other server
> running Redhat 7.3. Using information gathered from the O`Riley Book
> Exim which I just purchased on the weekend, I compiled and installed
> the latest version 3.36
>
> . I have several issues to resolve, one of which has to do with my ISP,
> which restricts access to Post 25 outbound.When running exim on my
> router, I was able to receive mail from my pop server, but not send it
> with smtp.

This regretfully is a similar setup on a number of ISPs in an attempt to
control spammers. You might try to set up Exim to deliver everything to
your ISP's SMTP server. Have a look in the book for route_list

> My issue now is accessing my mail server that I have just newly setup.
> I configure my MUA (OUTLOOK) to look at my pop server IP address
> 192.168.1.2, but it tells me <Pop server name you specified can not be
> found> Exim is running, I send myself an email, and when I do a mailq,
> I see it. I checked the Firewall on Redhat, and no rules are defined.
> ICM accepts all, and everything is set to allow. Could my problem be
> related to the firewall? I thought I had specified no firewall on
> installation. I may be wrong

Exim is a MTA (mail transfer agent) it transfers mail rather than act as a
pop or IMAP server. What you do not have running is a pop3 server or IMAP
server. On Red Hat 7.3 edit /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3 and change disable = yes to
disable = no You might also want to play with IMAP and secure IMAP. These
are as easy as changing no to yes in IMAP and imaps. The restart the
Internet Daemon (service xinetd restart)

While I know that this comes up in the list quite regularly I thought it
would not hurt to have it once more in the archives ;-)

Kind regards
Xander