Re: [Exim] mysterious TO: headers

Author: Jim Savoy
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] mysterious TO: headers

"Dave C." wrote:

> Welcome to the difference between the SMTP envelope and the messages
> headers. The headers DO NOT have anything to do with where a mesasge
> gets delivered - only the envlope does.
>
> BTW, this is not anything new. Most spam this days has junk or forged
> To and From headers.

Oh no. What a wicked world you have welcomed me to!

> Actually, one of my more effective spam filters specifically counts on
> it. I check the To and Cc lines for all the addresses that are supposed
> to come to me, including exceptions for certains lists and whatnot, and
> if none of them are there, it gets thrown into a junk folder that I look
> at once in a while to see if anything legit went there - nothing ever
> had (well, some messages to a list that I forgot to add to my exceptions
> once, but that was my fault, and it wasnt all that terribly an important
> list anyway, which probably explains why I forgot to include it)

You are talking about client-side filters though right? Most of
our users do not know how to create filters. I would much
rather stop this stuff before it ever gets delivered. Have you got
a sample filter I could use to dump this stuff at SMTP time?

And I'm still curious as to how "mensa.uleth.ca" gets added.
If exim itself is tacking this on, how can I stop it from doing that?
And what did the message look like before mensa.uleth.ca was
added to it? Just a local part with no domain?

I apologize for my naivete. I am currently working my way through
the exim manual. Lots to learn, and very interesting reading, but
I haven't mastered all of it yet (I would say I have mastered about
40% of it so far, which is why example filters (if you have any)
come in handy. TIA.

- jim -