Re: [Exim] message_filter_directory_transport problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_filter_directory_transport problem
On Wed, 22 May 2002, John Horne wrote:

> In 'Exim's interface to mail filtering' (for exim 3.36) it says:
>
> If the file name does not start with a / character, then the contents of
> the $home variable are prepended.

Not in a *system* filter! That refers to user filters, where a home
directory makes sense.

> The use of 'save' I have above works fine. Surely if its an absolute
> pathname then that's okay, and if it's not an absolute pathname then it
> should just prepend $home (the $home of the user running the system filter)?
> In that case any check of an absolute path name should not be required.

No, sorry, it doesn't work like that. $home isn't set in a system
filter. I'd never thought of that. I'm not sure it is sensible anyway,
because system filters tend to be run as "exim" or another non-human
user, where there may not be a "home" directory.

I don't think the 'save' you have works fine. Try changing the contents
of the "directory" option in your transport. I would expect that to take
effect, whereas if you change the contents of 'save', it will have no
effect (while it remains a non-absolute path). That is because of the
buglet I found.