Re: [Exim] Re: Implementing ODMR

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Brian Candler
CC: jh, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Implementing ODMR
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Brian Candler wrote:

> (A) ODMR server
>
> If Exim had the ability to accept an ATRN command and then simply
> invoke an external program, passing the SMTP stream on stdin and stdout and
> the authenticated id as a parameter, that would do the job nicely.

> (B) ODMR client
>
> This one I expect would take more work. I guess ideally we'd need a variant
> of 'exim -bd' which would connect to a specified host, send AUTH/ATRN, and
> then accept incoming messages as usual. Perhaps it could just exec()
> 'exim -bs' at that point.

I have put both these useful suggestions on the Wish List. I don't think
the second need be a daemon at all. It could (as you suggest) be some
kind of variant on 'exim -bs'. It shouldn't in fact be too hard because
the functions for driving outgoing TCP/IP calls already exist
independently of the smtp transport (they are also used for callouts and
ident calls).

Philip