Re: [Exim] A few fairly basic questions ?

Author: Tamas TEVESZ
To: Steve T
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] A few fairly basic questions ?
On Sun, 19 May 2002, Steve T wrote:

 >    1. Where does Exim sit in relation to Sendmail. I assume it is a direct
 > replacement ?

as far as external callers are concerned, yes (99.9% of the time).
`no' as for you can't use your sendmail.cf of course.

 >    2. What advantages does Exim hold over Sendmail ? Especially is it/can it
 > be substantially more performant ?

well, i can't speak much for sendmail's performance as i haven't used
it for years. configuration-wise: there isn't much under the sun i
need and exim can't do it, and i can't tell exim how to do it.
speed-wise: i'm satisfied.

 >    3. We are 'driving' our current Email sending via a programmatic PHP
 > interface to our MySQL customer Db ? This currently uses the PHP mail()
 > class. We are finding this very slow and cumbersome ?

worst solution one can think of.

> Any tips or advice ?

yann's paper, sheldon's thread with a subject like `sending out 100000
emails' (or sg like that, i'm not quite sure of the number:), and if
you want to cut your throat, my little suggestion on modifying exim
here and there. all in the archives.

ps. 100.000 mails are not much ;) depending on your hardware and
bandwidth (and of course. configuration), i'd estimate 2-4 hours for
the first 85.000, and the rest depends on accepting servers anyway.

:)

--
[-]