Re: [Exim] Cascading Autoresponder Loops

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Benjamin Young
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Cascading Autoresponder Loops
benjamincyoung@??? said:
> When I send an email to an address that has an autoresponder (such as
> a system that generates automatic support tickets), and my own address
> has an autoresponder, this always results in an endless loop between
> the two addresses. In the space of 10 minutes, I usually receive about
> 300 support tickets (or other autoresponses), until I block the
> address that generates the tickets.

The autoresponder should be giving you responses with error message status
(i.e. MAIL FROM:<>). You should never send an autoresponse to error messages.

Check that your own autoresponder is behaving correctly. If it is, work
out in which of the two possible ways the other autoresponder involved is
broken -- does it respond to error messages or does it send non-error
messages, or both? Report this to the owner, and possibly also to the abuse
contact at their network provider, as they're effectively causing a DoS
attack.

--
dwmw2