Re: [Exim] Announce: exim 3 style error messages in exim 4 +…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Marc MERLIN
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Philip Hazel
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Announce: exim 3 style error messages in exim 4 + custom ones
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:47:12AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Philip, while this is not the final patch, I'm very interested in getting
> > this into exim this time.
>
> I have noted this on the Wish List. I am unlikely to look at it
> immediately, because I'm only making very small changes at the moment

Can I ask you about the option name I added, just to pick which one you'd
like (that way I won't have to change my machines later if you do integrate
that)

     !verify = header_sender/callout=90s/check_postmaster

During callback, it also tries an RCPT TO: <postmaster@???>
Is "check_postmaster" ok, or would you rather have "postmaster" or something
else?

> I haven't looked at that yet, but one thing is certain: this has to be
> optional because there are some postmasters who take precisely the

I've kept that in mind, but my focus was to bring back what exim 3 does
right now and what disappeared from exim 4.
We can add as many switches as we want, but if we had to pick on a
switchless option, I've only read about one person here who complained about
the giving callback details (fair enough), but there are many of us who are
using exim 3, and who'd lose lots of error mesasges by going to exim 4

exim 3 doesn't say "administrative prohibition" or "temporary local error"
when you reject a message because the header sender doesn't resolve or
because there is a syntax error in it.
Right now, I would not even dare swithing sourceforge.net to exim 4 in fear
of the "your mail server is broken, it turned a local error" and similar
messages when we'd reject the junk that our exim 3 rejects right now.

Anyway, I'll just maintain the patch for now and be patient :-)

Thanks,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key