Re: [Exim] Re: Persistent DB connections to MySQL database

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Nigel Metheringham
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Re: Persistent DB connections to MySQL database
On 16 May 2002, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> That won't work either. You can't rename a directory in place of
> another directory in one operation - you need to move the target out of
> the way first.

Oh dear. And I thought I was being so clever. Sigh. Looking at the man
page on Solaris, it seems that the strict statement is that you can only
do it if the target directory is empty, which defeats the object:

     If old points to the pathname of a directory, new  must  not
     point  to the pathname of a file that is not a directory. If
     the directory named by new exists, it will  be  removed  and
     old  will  be renamed to new. In this case, a link named new
     will exist throughout the renaming operation and will  refer
     to  either the file referred to by new  or the file referred
     to as old before the operation began. Thus, if new names  an
     existing directory, it must be an empty directory.

> Also consider this:-
>    process X opens dir/dbfile.1
>    process Y renames newdir into the place of dir
>    process X opens dir/dbfile.2

> dbfile.1 and dbfile.2 do not come from the same original directory.

Indeed. I think I have been round this loop before, and forgotten about
it. A creature of (bad) habits!

Moral: don't use NDBM for this kind of thing.