Re: [Exim] Eudora 5.1, exim 3.x and SMTP/TLS

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Eudora 5.1, exim 3.x and SMTP/TLS
At 22:35 -0400 4/29/2002, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
>Got a client running Eudora 5.1 I'm trying to use STARTTLS with to an
>exim server. If I set it to STARTTLS required it connects and then
>says the server does not support SSL.
>
>Doesn't seem to like something about the EHLO response;
>
>> 220 server greeting
>< EHLO client.address
>> 250-server Hello client.address [ip.ad.re.ss]
>> 250-SIZE 15728640
>> 250-EXPN
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-STARTTLS
>> 250 HELP
>< QUIT
>> 221 server closing connection

It might be worth trying the Eudora 5.1.1 beta which appeared late in
April. 5.1 was fairly old...it's quite possible that 5.1.1 will behave
differently in the face of various new technologies.

[For instance, in another area, the 5.1 beta 21 for Mac OS X version does
much better with IMAP than does 5.1 for Windows...the 5.1.1 betas all
appeared at about the same time...one might hope that they are all using
the lessons Qualcomm learned in the Mac OS X betas. One might of course be
disappointed.]

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA