Re: [Exim] Eudora 5.1, exim 3.x and SMTP/TLS

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Eudora 5.1, exim 3.x and SMTP/TLS
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:35:37PM -0400,
Peter Radcliffe <pir@???> is thought to have said:

> Got a client running Eudora 5.1 I'm trying to use STARTTLS with to an
> exim server. If I set it to STARTTLS required it connects and then
> says the server does not support SSL.
>
> Doesn't seem to like something about the EHLO response;
>
> > 220 server greeting
> < EHLO client.address
> > 250-server Hello client.address [ip.ad.re.ss]
> > 250-SIZE 15728640
> > 250-EXPN
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250-STARTTLS
> > 250 HELP
> < QUIT
> > 221 server closing connection
>
> Any clues about what it doesn't like ?

Eudora 5's TLS interface has got to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

It is likely complaining about your certificate, especially if it's
self-signed.

The process to fix this (from memory so it is likely to be a little bit off)
is configure it to use STARTTLS, try to connect and when it fails go back to
the configuration page, click on the button right next to the drop down
where you say STARTTLS is required (it may be labelled "certificates" or
something similar), then when the certificate manage pops up, find the cert
with the skull and crossbones next to it, set it to be accepted, and try
connecting again.

This time it should work.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality