From: "Tom Samplonius" <tom@???>
To: "James P. Roberts" <punster@???>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Exim] AOL blocks SSL/TLS?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, James P. Roberts wrote:

> AOL does not allow their users to attempt to use SSL/TLS when sending
> mail. Their relays can't handle it, and unless the AOL user wants to
> broadcast their remote login info (assuming the remote server allows
> non-encrypted authentication, which I don't), or the remote server

owner
> (e.g. me) wants to be an open relay (no way!), then they cannot send
> email from a non-AOL email account. Unless we go to all this trouble

> bypass AOL's relays.

The only reason why you want to use SSL/TLS is protect a password that
the AOL relays can't verify anyhow. They don't have your passwords.
Second, the only reason why you want to provide a password is for secure
relaying, but the AOL relays provide secure relaying without passwords.
So
your users can use AOL just fine to relay their e-mail, without all this
SSL/TLS hassle.

Tom