[Exim] AOL blocks SSL/TLS?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: James P. Roberts
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] AOL blocks SSL/TLS?
I am running Exim 4.02 on Linux RedHat 7.1. I only permit authorized
users to relay (i.e. my customers, whose domains I am hosting). I
require SSL/TLS prior to authorization. I am not an ISP, so all my
customers must access the internet through their own choice of ISP.

HUGE problem... AOL diverts all SMTP traffic to their own proxies, and
DOES NOT support TLS. Thus, it is apparently impossible to permit AOL
users to be my customers, unless I screw up my entire hard-won secure
email service, by permitting my users to broadcast their usernames and
passwords, in the clear, via AOL proxy servers. Golly, that sounds so
appealing (cough, choke, gag).

I saw remarkably little in the Exim users archive on this topic, expect
a brief rant about it being a terrible thing for AOL to be doing. (I
agree).

To add a little info to the discussion, if you connect to the internet
via AOL dial-up, any telnet-related packets you send, from any app on
your own machine, gets diverted to their proxy!

For example, attempting to telnet directly to port 25 on my own server
(puns01.punsterproductions.com), from a DOS box, on a client machine
logged into AOL, resulted in a connection to an AOL proxy server,
instead of my server! Yes, that's right, AOL actually dares to
hi-jack/intercept packets!!!! It is the moral equivalent of opening
someone else's mail, and not only that, but answering the sender on the
recipient's behalf, without the recipient ever seeing the mail!!!!!

Can you tell I am ticked off about this?

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, is there a
solution, short of suing AOL's pants off?

Help!!

Jim Roberts
President
Punster Productions, Inc.