Re: [Exim] User authentication to enable relaying

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: James P. Roberts
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] User authentication to enable relaying
<snip>

Is this a job for TLS/SSL certificates?

Dirk
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to

To which I would add: "Some unsettling of contents may occur during
shipment."

To answer the question: not necessarily. See SMTP AUTH section of
manual.

Fair warning, it took me (a relative newbie) quite a while to figure out
how to make it work correctly. Especially since I wanted to use
SSL/TLS, so as not to be broadcasting passwords "in the clear." And
then I ran into the problem that MS Outlook (I only had Outlook 97) does
not support TLS. I had to go to Outlook Express on my laptop (PITA). I
also ended up creating a new file with authorized email users and
passwords in it, using an LSEARCH to check authorization. I was able to
use PLAINTEXT LOGIN, since I am using SSL/TLS to scramble the
communications prior to password transmission.

Eventually, I will need to put it all into a database, and use MySQL
lookups, for speed. But at least it's working!

Best of luck to you.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.