Re: [Exim] Statistics on users ?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Paul Warren
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Statistics on users ?
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:22:02AM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 02:48:53PM +0200, F A wrote:
> | Hi , my company will soon install a new e-mail server.
> | Can somebody provide information on the statistics of Exim compared to
> | sendmail and postfix ?
> | Furthermore can somebody provide an estimate of number of machines that
> | are using exim as opposed to the machines which are using sendmail as
> | the mta ?

I can't provide an estimate of the number machines, but I don't
think that's too relevant. As has been pointed out, RH ship only
sendmail in their distribution so that's likely to skew figures.

Various large organisations are using it such as Freeserve, and Oxford
and Cambridge universities.

I'm sure others can provide further examples.

> No real numbers here, but I recently learned that RH includes only
> sendmail in their distribution. Thus I imagine there are a lot of
> people who use sendmail and are unaware of any other MTA.

Indeed. I have never met a sendmail admin who has ever tried another
MTA (and I always make a point of asking).

I've tried sendmail, qmail and Exim. I have found Exim to be the most
flexible. I would never now consider using sendmail in a production
system as it has a poor security record and is ludicrously complex to
configure.

I do not wish to spark an MTA flame-war on the list. There's clearly
room for more than one MTA in the world. If you must tell me why
sendmail is a worthwhile MTA, please do so off-list.

cheers,

Paul