A note about open relay lists (was Re: [Exim] Hi. Open relay…

Author: Greg Webster
To: exim-users
Subject: A note about open relay lists (was Re: [Exim] Hi. Open relay response...)
On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Dave C. wrote:
> You might want to refer them to the sites of the specific blacklists
> which they are on.

The open relay list at http://www.five-ten-sg.com/blackhole.php mistakenly
listed me as an open relay for three years, causing all sorts of problems
with people using his list and not being able to email me. It's solved
now, but it took me emailing him over and over (and getting bounces),
talking to other anti-spam people, calling his number from whois (which
was dead), and generally pushing like mad to get my domain taken off his list.

If you are going to use a open relay list, make sure it is actively
maintained and the owner is contactable. I was very near to starting a
lawsuit over this one.

Greg