Re: [Exim] Adding headers and querying them in ACLs

Author: Marc Langer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Adding headers and querying them in ACLs
(this mail was addressed only to me, but a Reply-To: exim-users@???
was set, therefore I quote the full mail:)

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:34:31 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Marc Langer wrote:
>
> > I tried to add a header in one ACL and to query it in another ACL.
>
> > Why doesn't my condition work? Is the header added after going through
> > the ACL?
>
> Obviously, Exim cannot add the header when you specify it in the RCPT
> ACL, because it hasn't received the message yet, so there is nothing to
> add it to. The headers are therefore saved up.

It was partly your advise to do it this way ;-)
(your response to Marc Merlin's question, he wanted to accept *every*
mail for some addresses, but apply hard header syntax checks on others,
too)

> Another reason for doing it this way is to ensure that any one header is
> added only once. If you have lots of RCPTs that trigger the same header,
> you don't want lots of identical header lines added. So Exim checks its
> list of headers to be added each time.
>
> Because you can also add headers in a DATA ACL, I programmed it the
> simple way, and added all the headers at the end, after the DATA ACL has
> succeeded. Again, that also ensures that any one header is added only
> once.
>
> So that's why what you are trying to do doesn't work.
>
> If I change it so that the RCPT headers are added before the DATA ACL is
> run, then the check on uniqueness over both ACLs will be lost. However,
> I don't think this is particularly important, so I will consider making
> this change, because I can see that it can be useful.

That would be nice, thank you.
It's the only possibility if some recipients should get every mail
without any header syntax and sender address checks (which are great
features, I don't want to deactivate them in general).

To be able to apply these checks depending on the recipient was the
main reason for me to update to Exim 4... ;-)
ACLs really are a nice feature.

Marc