Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...
--
tor, 2002-03-28 kl. 02:17 skrev Greg A. Woods:

> > Subject: Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...

> > Up to this point, I haven't had an answer as to:

> > a: why understcores are "dangerous" ("the standards say so" is not

good
> > enough, look what happened to Gallileo);

> Tony, you are a very confused person.

Yeah, well, it had to do with my upbringing. They told us we were
masters of the world, we won the second world war single handed: 90% of
the atlas was coloured pink.

(Pink?)

Later I learned that they were lying.

> The standards say what they say _EXPLICITLY_ to ensure that known and
> feasible systems are able to interoperate regardless of

implementation.

Agreed.

> This has nothing whatsoever to do with silly politics and mis-applied
> analogies such as those you're trying to draw.

This has nothing to do with "silly politics".

It has everything to do with rfc1652. And rfc1428 and rfc2033 and
rfc2045 and rfc2047 and rfc2277 and
rfc2821 and rfc2822.

But especially with rfc1652, or has it been superceded? I can't find its
successor.

I'll try to explain.

I want 8 BITMIME.

Phil Pennock don't want to give it to me. His employer is my ISP. Exim
and most other MTAs, on the contrary, do.

Examples:

---------------

1030 [root:billy.demon.nl] /usr/local/exim4 # telnet mail.exim.org 25
Trying 195.92.249.251...
Connected to mail.exim.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 exim-colo-01.whoc.theplanet.co.uk ESMTP Exim 3.33 #4 Thu, 28 Mar
2002 14:46:18 +0000
ehlo billy.demon.nl
250-exim-colo-01.whoc.theplanet.co.uk Hello billy.demon.nl
[212.238.97.135]
250-SIZE
250-8BITMIME <<-----!!!!!!
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
quit
221 exim-colo-01.whoc.theplanet.co.uk closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

(ksh 1031 was a "dig")

1032 [root:billy.demon.nl] /usr/local/exim4 # .nl.demon.net 25
Trying 194.159.73.26...
Connected to punt.mail.nl.demon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 punt-12.mail.nl.demon.net Server SMTP (Complaints/bugs to:
postmaster@???)
ehlo billy.demon.nl
500 Unknown or unimplemented command
quit
221 punt-12.mail.nl.demon.net says goodbye to billy.demon.nl at Thu Mar
28 14:50:40.
Connection closed by foreign host.

--------------------

Demon is NOT rfc1652 compliant.

I could go on, but it serves no point.

I simply have to switch ISP from Demon to xs4all.nl. To get 8BITMIME.

xs4all.nl (ISP), aftenposten.no (daily), dagbladet.no (daily), bt.no
(daily), aftonbladet.se (daily) are all rfc1652 compliant.

> You yourself and the services you directly control do not have to
> interoperate using the agreed upon standards if you don't want to.
> However you have absolutely zero right to complain when other people
> implement systems that are explicitly designed to interoperate with as
> wide a group as possible.

Rubbish (English), trash (American). "As wide a group as possible"
implies: "The rest of the world".

> > b: why, if all other countries in Europe sanction 8-bit smtp data,

this
> > group doesn't (see a: above).

> You are wrong. The rest of the world (i.e. outside you and me and our
> immediate locales) demand a whole lot more than 8-bits/character.

rfc1652

> 8-bit SMTP data is a lost cause with no realistic benefit. Literaly
> everyone who needs more than 7-bit ASCII can have access to multiple
> implemntations of MIME in almost every conceivable environment.

Trouble is, they don't choose to do so.

rfc1652

Many Norwegian mail servers don't serve quoted-printable, and then all
of this is useless. Worthless.

Norway rules :c) Jento mi e' Kari Trao, VOSSING!!!! Gudlmedaljejentao
mi. Ho so sto i dusjæ.

> Now if you were to argue over what 8-bit, 16-bit, or UTFx, etc.
> character set some information provider chooses to encode their

content
> in for distribution then that's an entirely different matter (and one
> not in any way appropriate for any forum dealing with SMTP transports!

:-).

O.k., so I argue that.

Now why can't I use ASCII 95 ("_") in localparts?

Tonni
--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981