Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...
On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 12:06:07AM +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
| --
| ons, 2002-03-27 kl. 22:54 skrev Phil Pennock:

| > > I also experience, that Phil Pennock's crappy mmdf 7-bit mmdf server is
| > It's not mine. It's my employers'. I rarely touch it.
| > > anihilating all mail from normal 8-bit mail servers on the Internet,

| > Please be careful when you make sweeping generalisations like that. My
| > employers are not litigious, but libellous claims of "annihilating"
| > email are false.

| I've always (since I began, with Exim, after mmdf and Netscape shit,)
| had my Exim servers serve 8 bit data.

Mmm, read the docs. exim only sends out 8-bit data if it was stuck in
it. The docs on the advertise_8bitmime option also clearly say that
it is not standards conforming and is likely to cause problems.

| I'd contend that those servers that do not serve 8-bit data
| anihilate mail.

No, they just conform to RFC 821 and its successor 2821.

| As I said, I have the vast majority of Europeans with me.

Funny how the rest of the European community doesn't have a problem
with it.

| > Our mail systems are standards compliant, in not being 8-bit clean.
| > Being 8-bit clean is desirable, but not necessary. They process email
| > perfectly well. We'd just like them to be better featured.

| They are not better featured.

exim isn't better featured than mmdf? Why don't I switch to mmdf
then?

| You know just as well as I do, that as
| soon as you can kick out mmdf and serve 8 bits, you will do (i.e. go
| over to 8-bit Exim).

Sure he will, but

| I dislike hypocrites.

he is still standards conforming. The 8BITMIME option in the Extended
SMTP protocol is totally optional. Again go research quoted-printable
and base64 to see why it is not a problem at all (for standards
conforming systems).

| I was SICK today at getting mail from one of the largest dailies
| (Dagbladet) in Norway that I couldn't read properly, because your mmdf
| server, due for death 5 years ago, chopped the data to bits. It's not
| just Norway, either. It's "European or not European".

How do you know that that's where the problem lies? What happens if
you try a different mailer to read the message? Maybe someone else
is managing an exim server that relayed the message; and maybe he set
the 8bitmime option. That is fully documented as not being standards
conforming and almost guaranteed to break stuff.

| All I want is Norwegian letters from Norwegian servers (and I'm talking
| about ALL Norwegian servers), without you anihilating them. And don't
| tell me that all Norwegians are wrong and only Demon is right. Or you'll
| have to include all French, all Swedes, all Danes, all Icelanders et.

I don't know any European languages well enough to write anything in
them as an example, but I can sprinkle in some nice looking unicode
characters (you will surely need a multibyte character capable program
to view this, gvim works but I doubt evolution does) :
€ ¬ † Þ

Now take a text editor and see how the message looks on disk and
compare it to what you see in your mailreader.

Just so you know, that euro character (unicode character 20ac) look
like this :
    =E2=82=AC
Notice how each of those characters use only 7 bits!  mmdf will handle
this just fine, like the standards say.

-D

--

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot