[Exim] incorrect retries from postfix?

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] incorrect retries from postfix?
My reject log indicates what appears to be incorrect retries from a
postfix server. I've got repeated entries of (sanitized to protect
the innocent) :

2002-03-26 00:56:18 ... (postfix) ... rejected RCPT <'@dman.ddts.net>: relay not permitted

2002-03-26 02:19:39 ... (postfix) ... rejected RCPT <'@dman.ddts.net>: relay not permitted

2002-03-26 03:42:59 ... (postfix) ... rejected RCPT <'@dman.ddts.net>: relay not permitted

The source of the problem was incorrect quoting in my muttrc that
yielded a From: header of (after exim's domain qualification)
    dman <dman.ddts.net> , <'@dman.ddts.net>
and the other party simply hit "reply" to it.

What I don't understand is why postfix kept retrying instead of
bouncing the message. I tried it myself using telnet and got '550' as
the response. As I understand it, that's a permanent, not temporary,
error. Is postfix misbehaving? Is the other server misconfigured?

I've resolved the situation by making an alias for local-part "'" and
by fixing my muttrc. (I also need to go back to the manual so that
exim will say "no such user" instead of "relay not permitted")

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?