Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?

Autor: dman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?
On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:33:46AM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
| On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 02:07, Phil Pennock wrote:
| > If it's important enough, he can fund writing a patch to Exim to
| > downgrade. ;^)

| Which is all a bit of a bitch since you also end up having to handle
| MIME - it all adds a pile of complexity to exim since you end up needing
| a large chunk of a decent MIME parser if not a complete MIME parser.

| I wonder if its worth spending the time:-

I don't really think it is. Everyone must play together by the specs,
or else their stuff won't work. This means either sending only 7-bit
encoded data, or handling all the proper conversions. In my case,
since exim wasn't advertising 8BITMIME, my school (that address
forwarded to my home) was converting stuff to 7 bit. I decided that
8bit was good for me so I turned on the flag. The flag doesn't affect
outgoing messages and I only had local delivery so it wasn't an issue
for me. In summary, though, all messages should be generated as 7-bit
because that's what the standards say and that's what will work
everywhere. If the other systems can't handle the standards, then
they are broken and it isn't our job to fix it.

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time