Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?
On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 02:07, Phil Pennock wrote:
> If it's important enough, he can fund writing a patch to Exim to
> downgrade. ;^)

Which is all a bit of a bitch since you also end up having to handle
MIME - it all adds a pile of complexity to exim since you end up needing
a large chunk of a decent MIME parser if not a complete MIME parser.

At present you *could* do the 8bit -> 7bit conversion in a transport
filter. However the filter would be invoked on every message (I can't
think of a way that the filter could be invoked for just 8 bit messages
and just when the next hop is non 8 bit).

I wonder if its worth spending the time:-
  1. Setting a flag of some sort on incoming messages which are
     non 7bit clean/

  2. Having flags within the SMTP transport based on what the
     ESMTP negotiation says - ie whether it does 8 bit etc

  3. Having the transport filter conditional and/or parameterisable
     based on these flags (ie expand the condition for that very
     late in the day - may be like this already).

The only thing that really concerns me then is that the ESMTP size
functions could be completely loused up by a transport filter thats
re-encoding the message.

    Nigel.