Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?

Author: Steinar Bang
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 8bitmime?

> This doesn't mean that you need to send the mails 8bit. It does
> mean that you should look up what Content-Transfer-Encoding is
> before you make statements about what is needed.

> Think "quoted-printable".

Aka. "quoted-unreadable".

The case of 8bit vs. q-p is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Back in 1993, when I first started using it, I got yelled at for
sending unreadable messages, because at the time "just-send-8" was the
common practice here in Norway.

Since most MUAs support q-p, these days, you get yelled at less. But
almost all MTAs are still set up to be 8bit clean (ie. *never* strip
the 8th bit, whether the sender is speaking ESMTP or not), and a lot
of MUAs are set up to not use q-p.

Eg. in Netscape 4.x this setting affects both mail and news, and you
*will* get yelled at if you use q-p on Norwegian USENET groups.