[Exim] smtp relaying

Author: Eric Rutherford
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] smtp relaying
I recently got Exim, i set it up and it seems to be sending mail fine from local host, and receiving mail fine from other hosts.. but what i need to do is making it so people can log into my smtp server from a client like outlook or a simliar mailer, and send mail thru my server.. i want to only allow users who login with a user/pass from the /etc/passwd file

surely this is a commonly done thing, but in all my searching i couldnt find out how to do it, most of the information i found relating to smtp auth methods just didnt make any sense to me..

i dont know if any of the methods i saw actually have anything to do with the /etc/passwd file

if you know how to set this up please respond with detailed information on how to do it, ive gotten so many one or two word answers to this problem that are just useless... (smtp auth, auth script.. etc..) starting to get really frustrating..

anyway surely someone here can help me get this final thing fixed so i can have a fully functional mail server