[Exim] Problem with RBL and outside connection

Author: hammerd
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Problem with RBL and outside connection
I had an interesting problem when using an RBL. My RBL points to blackholes.mail-abuse.org. My internet connection went down and then I started to receive and error "SMTP command timeout on connection from [ip address]". This prevented me from sending and receiving mail from all clients including my internal clients. When I remarked out the RBL entry I was able to send and receive from my internal clients. I assume the problem is if the rbl_domains command cannot complete the process hangs and nothing works. If this is the case is there a way to have the rbl_domains command timeout and let the process continue, or is this going to happen every time my outside connection goes down?

Don Hammer
Network Administrator
Evanite Fiber Corporation
1115 SE Crystal Lake Dr
Corvallis, OR 97333
(541) 753-0391 voice
(541) 753-0388 fax
hammerd@???
***** CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION *****
This e-mail and its attachments contain
confidential information, and are intended
only for the individual or entity indicated.
If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that the disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this transmission is strictly prohibited,
and no privilege or protection has been waived.
please notify the sender immediately and then
delete the message from your computer.
Al Sheldon
Evanite Fiber Corporation
Internet Address: ismanager@???