[Exim] 8bitmime?

Author: D.M.Chapman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] 8bitmime?

We have just had a request through our helpdesk that is basically "Could you
contact your systems administrator and ask him to configure his mail relay
to accept 8-bit MIME?". It seems that an offsite user is trying to email
a member of staff here something in French with lots of accents and as
we are not advertising 8BITMIME at the ehlo point it is refusing to send
us the email.

He can send the exact same email via a different ISP to use with no problems
so it is the sending server causing the bounce.

It seems from the docs that setting accept_8bitmime will allow this remote
system to happily deliver the email to our user but is this likely to
cause us problems in the future by delivering 8bit stuff onwards to a non
8 bit MTA? Are these still outthere? Should I care?

I'm tempted to say sod it and just turn it on to get rid of the problem
but will I regret this? :-)

What do others do?

Darren