Re: [Exim] smtp_accept_max -- too many connections

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users, eVote-workers, evan
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp_accept_max -- too many connections
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> 2002-03-17 06:23:04 Connection from 203.207.226.79 refused: too many
> connections

> We just took on a new vote-by-mail responsibility so there could be a
> new attack on us. There's not much traffic with us or with this
> responsibility, but it is a very important demonstration of the
> feasibility of voting by mail. So it is odd that it happens now.

It could be an attack, I suppose. Somebody just floods your SMTP
connections, and waits for timeouts. You could try reducing the value of
smtp_receive_timeout from its default of 5 minutes.

Hmm. I suppose a very evil person could just sit there and issue a NOOP
command every 4m30s or so. Maybe smtp_accept_max_per_host would help.