Re: [Exim] Exim port for MacOS X ?

Author: Dan Lowe
To: Chad Leigh -- Shire . Net LLC
CC: John W Baxter, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim port for MacOS X ?
Previously, Chad Leigh -- Shire . Net LLC wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 6, 2002, at 03:58 , John W Baxter wrote:
> >
> > Another useful piece of information might be "how do I cause Exim to do
> > NetInfo lookups when it is looking for what is often kept in
> > /etc/aliases?"
> > Of course, one could punt and use /etc/aliases. But the supplied
> > sendmail
> > manages the trick. [Mac OS X 1.0 shipped with a broken .forward file in
> > root's home directory. Sigh!]
>
> Shouldn't this happen by default. As long as you link with the Mac OS X
> versions of the standard libs for the lookup calls you are using (unless
> this is happening as a direct file lookup) then the lookupd hooks Apple
> added should automatically do this?????

That does work for things like getpwnam or whatever (since OSX uses NetInfo
instead of /etc/passwd, /etc/group...), but the alias file isn't read by a
system call, it's normally just read as a db file by Sendmail (or as a
flatfile by Exim, or whatever other method is configured in). Apple has
done something to the Sendmail they ship so that it knows how to look in
NetInfo - it isn't a standard thing for either Sendmail or Exim as far as I
know.

I suppose one could just export their NetInfo aliases to a file and have
Exim use it, with nidump maybe? I don't know the right way to do that.

--
Our doubts are traitors
And make us lose the good we might oft win,