Re[2]: [Exim] SMTP problems

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Richard Welty
Para: exim mailing list
Asunto: Re[2]: [Exim] SMTP problems
On 01 Mar 2002 12:18:48 +1000 robert stanford <rob@???> wrote:

> >Why do you need an SMTP proxy? What are you trying to achieve
> >and why do you think an SMTP proxy would solve *anything*?

> I have a machine acting as a gateway for a network, its quite limited on
> memory and disk space, however I'd like to use it as an smtp proxy in
> order to reject spam and executable attachments.

if it's doing that kind of work, it's more than a simple proxy.

when you say proxy, one thinks of things like the TIS toolkit or SOCKS,
which are much more limited in what they do with the SMTP transaction. what
you're talking about is a gateway sitting at the lowest numbered MX, with
an internal mail host on the inside. this can certainly be done with exim
on a smallish machine; i can it with 32M or 64M on a 100 or 133 MHZ pentium
with 1G of disk rather easily. i could probably pull it off on something
smaller, although first generation pentiums are so cheap right now i don't
see the point in trying.

richard
--
Richard Welty