Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior

Author: Mark Morley
To: John W Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Proper autoresponder behavior
> At 11:58 -0800 2/27/2002, Mark Morley wrote:
> >   - It has a user-configurable response limiter so they can set it to
> >     send only one reply every X hours, days, weeks, etc.

> I suspect you've had internal arguments about whether there should be a
> required minimum number of hours for this setting.

If by "internal" you mean those pesky voices in my head, then you're correct.
Other than that, the software is a one-man project with little or no input
from anyone else.

At the moment there is no minimum, but I've been thinking there should be.

> You might want to consider restricting one other sort of thing: assuming
> that whatever your web servers allow customer sites to mail out in response
> to form submissions, you quite likely don't want to respond to either the
> user's copy or the site owner's copy (if any). I doubt that whoever gets
> bounces from these would want to see the responses.

Easier said than done I think. Although we supply some pre-made form
processors, most users roll their own in PHP or M-Script and we really
don't have any way of knowing how they'll format them.

> After a lookup, I can say..."Hi, neighbour!" [Our territory gets as close
> as Port Angeles.]

Howdy. I've never popped across the water but you're close enough that I can
see Port Angeles from here.

Mark