Re: [Exim] Re: exim-3.34 smtp_accept_reserve not working

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: exim-3.34 smtp_accept_reserve not working
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > smtp_reserve_hosts = 10.0.0.0/24
> > smtp_accept_reserve = 50
> > smtp_accept_max_per_host = 5
> > smtp_accept_max = 550
>
> Bleh, looks like I _was_ misreading the spec after all. Seems the
> smtp_accept_reserve and smtp_reserve_hosts options affect
> smtp_accept_max but not smtp_accept_max_per_host.

smtp_accept_reserve *interacts* with smtp_accept_max; I wouldn't say
that it *affects* it.

smtp_accept_max => "There must never be more than this many incoming
                   SMTP connections at once."

smtp_accept_reserve => "When the number of connections is high, the last
                        this many of them are reserved for connections from
                        the nominated hosts."

smtp_accept_max_per_host => "No host may have more than this many SMTP
                             connections at once."

All three rules apply simultaneously. Clearly, (2) and (3) can interact.
If you've only got 2 reserved hosts, and you won't accept more than 3
connections per host, then there's no point in reserving more than 6
connections for them.