Re: [Exim] Exim's sendmail (in)compatibility: Commandline op…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Marc MERLIN
Aan: exim-users
CC: Tobias Burnus, burnus
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim's sendmail (in)compatibility: Commandline options
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 04:13:22PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > a) -t -i vs. -ti
> > In sendmail (and postfix) I can stagger the -t and -i option to -ti,
> > which fails with exim.
>
> Indeed. It is not documented as working that way, and I have never
> implemented it.

I think it's just a matter of what command line parsing code/library you
use.
For many unix tools, if foo -a -b works, than foo -ab works too
that's also why multiple letter options are usually prepended with --
so that you can have foo -a -b --ab equivalent to foo -ab --ab

Of course, we all know this is unix we're talking about, so these are just
guidelines, not everyone supports them.

> > b) the longer -b options are not supported,
> > such as -ODeliveryMode=deferred
>
> Indeed again. Those are also not documented as working, and again, I
> have never implemented them. Personally, I think they just waste space

Actually, that one is documented, but you couldn't start to support these:
-Ooption=foo in sendmail lets you change the value of sendmail specific
options that are set in sendmail.cf.
These wouldn't make much sense with anything other than sendmail.

Because exim works with multiple letter options with only one leading dash
(like exim -Mrm), suuporting 1) in the general case would be hard, and
supporting 2) just doesn't make sense.

Tobias, if you can't fix your calling script, write a shell wrapper for exim
that accepts the options and translates them for exim.

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key