Re: [Exim] looking for definitions of 19+ mail relay tests

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jeremy C. Reed
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] looking for definitions of 19+ mail relay tests
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Dave C. wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a webpage or documentation that gives a name and
> > definition for each of the common (19?) open relay tests.
> >
> > For example, allowing
> > MAIL FROM:<test@???>
> >
> > On some tests this is simply called "Relay test 5". (I guess I would
> > define it as "forged envelope-from address using domain literal format".)
>
> There is no such 'official' list. Each/any site which does such checks
> and has a list, makes that list up entirely on their own.

There are known techniques. I wouldn't say that they make up their
own. (But I guess that some may try new things.)

> If this is in respect to some specific site/DNSBL which is performing
> tests, and referring to them by number, you will have to refer to that
> specific sites documentation to determine what tests they use and how
> they are numbered, if they are referred to by number.

That is what I original searched for. (Feel free to point me to any
specific documentation.)

> > searches. If one doesn't exist, then I may make a webpage about it.

Well I started making a webpage.
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/mail/open-relay.html

I am trying to make a webpage that I can use that quickly has some
definitions and explains some open relay holes (so I can point admins to
it when they wonder about their open relay).

I have seen many webpages about open relays; but I want one that explains
each of the techniques -- with keywords (so they can look up in their MTA
documentation to figure out how to close that particular hole).

Jeremy C. Reed