Re: [Exim] Returned mail

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Starhost - N.P.G. Elsten
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Returned mail
On 2002-02-05 at 10:32 +0100, Starhost - N.P.G. Elsten wrote:
> I am running EXIM and have just 1 tiny problem. I'm an ISP and some
> of my users run a maillist (PHP / PERL). When they are using their
> maillist and some emails could't be sent to the emailadress. I get
> those emails in my mailbox (root).
>
> Is there a way to avoid this? Because it is quite anoying.

Email on the Internet is sent using SMTP. SMTP provides an Envelope,
with an Envelope Sender and one or more Envelope Recipients.

When a mail can not be delivered, the error message is sent back to the
Envelope Sender. So if you're receiving the error message, the Envelope
Sender is not correct.

The way to avoid this is to have the Envelope Sender be an
administrative address of the mailing-list.

This is mostly not an Exim issue. It depends very much upon _how_ the
mailing-list is set up and configured to send email.

_If_ the mailing-list is using the 'sendmail' command interface, and is
trying to set the sender there (using either the "-f" option or an
initial "From " line in the message body), then yes, there's an Exim
configuration issue there. Read section 5.2 of The Exim Specification
and the trusted_users/trusted_groups stuff, and also
untrusted_set_sender in section 11. You're running an ISP, and this
sounds like a web-server. Just how _desirable_ allowing the users to
set the envelope sender is, you have to decide. It affects
accountability. Some.
--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!