Re: [Exim] Best POP server to go with EXIM

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: tdn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Best POP server to go with EXIM

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:20:36 +0300, tdn@??? wrote:

> Am an exim newbie migrating from qmail.

Know the feeling. :-)

> I have set up exim for relay, but want to use it for local deliveries now.
> Please advise on the best pop server to go with exim

Ian Freislich at UUNET SA has written a POP server that I use at
Gambling.com and which UUNET SA uses in at least one large African ISP
context. It was written from scratch with security in mind, and
conforms to a pretty consistent and readable source style.

It supports various mailbox formats including Maildir, and has good
virtual domain, RADIUS and SSL support. It's also BSD-licensed, which
sets it apart from most other POP servers (but probably doesn't make a
difference for your application). The only feature that's not working
in the current release is the bulletin feature.

It's available in the FreeBSD ports tree as mail/popd, or at
ftp://ftp3.za.freebsd.org/pub/popd/ for others.

Ciao,
Sheldon.