Re: [Exim] Courier userdb md5 passwords?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Courier userdb md5 passwords?
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Dave C. wrote:

> I'm trying to setup SMTP AUTH, but I need a way to check passwords from
> within exim. exim's ${md5... expansion seems to output the md5sum in an
> entriely different format. I've tried ${crypteq\{md5\} but it doesnt
> pass that either..

Someone pointed out recently on the list that there were two different
ways of representing an MD5-hashed password. Exim uses the way that LDAP
uses - that's where the requirement originated - which is to represent
the hash in base-64 code. Apparently, some applications represent it in
hex instead. I have just added code to the next Exim 4 pre-release to
recognize this second form for the crypteq operation. You can tell the
difference by the different lengths (base-64 coded is 24 bytes long, hex
is 32 bytes long).

> password:
> test123
>
> courier 'userdb' md5 hashed string:
> $1$eYrvxTAm$Wz4Wkxe5exy/5VhkuTnYH0

That is neither base-64 nor hex, being 34 characters long. So I don't
know what it might be I'm afraid.