Re: [Exim] Cyrus/Exim incompatibility

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John Holman
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Ken Murchison
Kopio: info-cyrus, exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Cyrus/Exim incompatibility
At 15:25 24/01/02, Ken Murchison wrote:

>Philip Hazel wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, John Holman wrote:
> >
> > > Messages generated by Cyrus's lmtpd (e.g. as the result of a sieve
> vacation
> > > or reject rule) are created with CRLF as line terminators and piped
> to the
> > > mail program (by default sendmail, which in our case is actually
> > > exim). Messages presented to sendmail in this way should, I think,
> > > conform to the Unix conventions for line termination rather than
> those for
> > > SMTP, and therefore not contain CR characters.
> >
> > This is also my view.
> >
> > > This suggests that exim's author, at least, would consider Cyrus to be
> > > broken in this respect!
> >
> > I am Exim's author.
>
>Is there a spec or reference which states that when sending a message to
>an MTA via stdin that only LF should be used as the line terminator? Or
>are people saying that this is best common practice?

My guess is that there is no real standard, but I think it makes sense when
passing a message to an MTA via stdin to comply with the conventions of the
local operating system. That would mean LF under Unix, CRLF under Windows etc.

Actually, if it's true that there are no standards to be upheld, I also
think it would be better for Exim (which claims to be a Sendmail clone
insofar as the command line interface is concerned) to accept either CRLF
or LF as a line terminator when mail is presented on standard input, if
that is what Sendmail does.

As Lawrence has said, Cyrus could avoid the issue entirely by connecting to
an SMTP server when it sends mail.

John.