Re: [Exim] strange problem when talking with MS ESMTP MAIL S…

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
CC: Silvano Sartore
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange problem when talking with MS ESMTP MAIL Service
Quoth Phil Pennock on Thu, Jan 24, 2002:
> On 2002-01-24 at 12:32 +0100, Silvano Sartore wrote:
> > Everyone knows the reason of this problem ?
>
> Perhaps not everyone. My mother has problems enough with understanding
> computer basics, let alone diagnosing MTA issues. ;^)

Good point. I'll ask my cat whether she knows the answer.

> A mail which you've just promised will be 1798 characters long.
>
> As I count it, that mail (not including the "." line, with a CRLF at the
> end of each line) is 759 bytes long.
>
> You've just broken a promise to the remote MTA. All bets are off.

Not really. RFC 1870, page 4, chapter 6, states explicitly:

# NOTE: Servers MUST NOT use the SIZE parameter to determine end of
# content in the DATA command.

So the server should take SIZE as a hint, not a strict promise.
Therefore, the server in question behaved just WRONG.

Vadik.

P.S. Did you know? RFC 1653 has two chapters 4.

--
Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.