Re: [Exim] strange problem when talking with MS ESMTP MAIL S…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Silvano Sartore
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange problem when talking with MS ESMTP MAIL Service
On 2002-01-24 at 12:32 +0100, Silvano Sartore wrote:
> Everyone knows the reason of this problem ?

Perhaps not everyone. My mother has problems enough with understanding
computer basics, let alone diagnosing MTA issues. ;^)

Someone might know, though.

> 250-PIPELINING

> 250 OK
> MAIL FROM:<G.Bigoni@???> SIZE=1798
> RCPT TO:<T.Trogolo@???>
> DATA
> 250 2.1.0 G.Bigoni@???....Sender OK
> 250 2.1.5 T.Trogolo@???
> 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

Okay, it all looks fine up to here. You've sent some commands together,
waited for the response to the DATA command before continuing (good with
PIPELINING) and you're now about to sent a mail.

A mail which you've just promised will be 1798 characters long.

> From: "Giorgio Bigoni" <G.Bigoni@???>
> To: "Tiziana Trogolo" <T.Trogolo@???>
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:56:00 +0100

> bla, bla, bla
>
> .

As I count it, that mail (not including the "." line, with a CRLF at the
end of each line) is 759 bytes long.

You've just broken a promise to the remote MTA. All bets are off.

> 500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command
> QUIT

If you could provide diagnostic output from a case which is failing
because of Exim, the exact Exim log-lines, and a sample message where a
promise to a computer has not been broken (very unforgiving, computers)
then we might be able to help further.
--
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking