Re: [Exim] Logs look like it worked, but mail doesn't arrive

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Mike Gifford
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Phil Pennock
Kopio: exim mailing list
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Logs look like it worked, but mail doesn't arrive
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply..

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 14:28, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2002-01-20 at 14:17 -0500, Mike Gifford wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up an rpm verion of exim(v3.30). From what I can tell
> If a later version is available, that's better. 3.34 is current, and
> has some pretty significant fixes, including some (potential) security
> problems.

I've brought it up the 3.3, but am finding a number of other rpm
requirements in 3.4 which stopped me from successfully installing it in
Red Hat 7.2

> > and it seems to work fine... From the logs I get:
> > 2002-01-20 08:41:58 16SIE8-0007Vv-00 <= root@???
> > U=root P=local S=307
> > 2002-01-20 08:42:00 16SIE8-0007Vv-00 => mike@??? R=lookuphost
> > T=remote_smtp H=smtp1.sympatico.ca [209.226.175.82]
> > 2002-01-20 08:42:00 16SIE8-0007Vv-00 Completed
> So the remote host has accepted the mail.

I think the problem was with my
    primary_hostname

was incorrectly set.. This is for a dynamic IP for a demo server,
unfortunately..

> > So it looks like it has gone to the smtp server.. Completed.. That
> > must be good..
> Looks to me as though the mail has been successfully delivered. What
> leads you to believe that it hasn't?

I sent an email to myself and never received a reply..

However, changing the hostname has allowed me to send out an email at
last.

> Is it possible that your ISP is experiencing delays in its mail system?
> Because according to those logs, [209.226.175.82] has accepted the mail
> and responsibility for it.

They may not have liked my hostname and decided to keep and toss the
mail..

> Perhaps a tcpdump to verify that the mail has actually been sent out?

How do I do that?

But perhaps the bigger question is how do I direct mail to this box..

I'm not sure how to configure it so that the mail gets directed to the
mailboxes rather than just deleted..

Mike
--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting, http://www.openconcept.ca
Supporting progressive organizations in online campaigns and tools.