Re: [Exim] Passing mail through directors as well as routers…

Top Pagina
Auteur: dman
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Passing mail through directors as well as routers section?
On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:04:16PM -0500, Dave C. wrote:

| On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, dman wrote:

| > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 07:53:18PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
| > | On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Joachim Wieland wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | This is exactly the kind of scenario which caused me to abolish the
| > | distinction between directors and routers in Exim 4. In Exim 4 there is
| > | just one set of routers.
| >
| > Will it be possible to keep them separate?  I can imagine that it may
| > be useful to handle incoming and outgoing messages differently.  I'm
| > thinking of an option like
| >     message_type = incoming
| >     message_type = outgoing
| >     message_type = incoming : outgoing

| But *all* messages come IN (to exim) from somewhere (maybe from another
| host by SMTP, maybe from a local process,) *and* then go OUT (of exim)
| to somewhere (maybe to another host by SMTP, maybe to a file or a pipe.)

You're right. What I was thinking of was a distinction between

"the buck stops here, where do I set this thing?"
    and
"this ain't mine, you take it"

messages. In my mis-terminology above the former is "incoming" (exim3
director) and the latter is "outgoing" (exim3 router).

| Exim4 allows for differentiation between where messages are going based
| on lots of conditions, including the sender domain and the recipient
| domain.

Ok, right. I can say "if the recipient is here (my domain) then see
if it meets the other conditions" and "if the recipient isn't here,
check the other conditions" to achieve what (I think) I want.

| So you could easily write routers that made these distinctions.
| You can even make macro-like lists of domains to emulate the exim3
| functionality. Read the overview of how Exim4 works - I'm sure PH10
| posted it here - or at least a link to it.

I'll look for it.

-D

--

No harm befalls the righteous,
but the wicked have their fill of trouble.