Re: [Exim] Removing workstation name from mail address

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Kevin Sindhu
A: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Removing workstation name from mail address
Moin dman!
dman schrieb am Monday, den 07. January 2002:

> > All Win32 programs are set to display tommy@???, but
> > mailing from the Linux machine presents two diffentrent names.....
> > If I use the Null Webmail I get the address tommye@localhost, if I
> > se the

> What does
>     grep 127 /etc/hosts
> output?

I am not sure if changing /etc/hosts would be a solution. Most good
webmailers are(and should) configurable to show the proper sending
domain.

> exim uses the gethostbyname() C function to determine what your
> machine's name is. This function gives back the first name listed
> in /etc/hosts for the loopback IP. Make the first name there your
> external name. For example :

What do you do when the MTA(in this case, the web-mail) sets it up to
be anything other than $hostname. IMO, this is a hack and not a
correct solution. Both exim and a good mailer can be setup without
messing with /etc/hosts...

> > mail command I get tommye@???, where web is the name
> > of the Linux machine.

> $ host einarsson.nu
> einarsson.nu has no A record (Authoritative answer)

This was good of you to point out. I would higly recommend running
dnswalk on the entire domain and fix all the problems. However
einarsson.nu now shows a MX.

einarsson.nu.       23h54m21s IN MX  10 ix.alldomains.com.

> If I tried to send mail to <something>@einarsson.nu it would fail
> because there is no A or MX record for einarsson.nu (exim doesn't
> know where to open a connection to).

Yup.

> If I try to send mail to <something>@web.einarsson.nu exim would
> deliver the message to 'ix.alldomains.com'. Is this what you want?
> Also, since web.einarsson.nu has no A record no web browser will be
> able to browse web pages on your machine. (I imagine that's the
> purpose of a system named 'web') In fact, no one can get any
> connection to that machine from its name.

[...]

> > I will gladly admit that I'm no wiz in Linux, so I don't knowhere
> > tostart search, and using the archive is a bit hard if you don't
> > have a specific search criterea (the word domain gave me >8000
> > hits).

> Can you provide some more information about your network? From the
> above data I think something isn't complete somewhere.

Read about:
         - DNS Setup (Search Google. - Keyword(s) - DNS Setup/Security

         - Mail routing ( "    "     / Read Exim Spec/ play with -d11
                        switch)
         - Network design

         - How to bake a carrot cake and send it via express post to
           me.

Ciao,

    - Hungry Kevin

--
First, a few words about tools.
Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of