Re: FW: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: FW: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system
> > What if my cron job fails? How will it notify me? What if something
> > goes wrong on the workstation, how will it notify the admin (I'm
> > thinking of tripwire or other monitoring tools)?

Quoth Pete Barnwell on Tue, Jan 01, 2002:
> Assuming that you mean you the user of the workstation then you could
> always set up Procmail to deliver mail. OK it would only deliver mail
> locally, but that's what's required here.

Right. Then how will you know that some program sent you a
message on some host if you have hundreds of host to admin, all
of which only deliver mail locally?

> The only snag with having a MTA set up 'out of the box' is that it can't
> be setup correctly (unless the packager's mastered ESP ;-)); having an
> misconfigured MTA is probably worse than not having one at all, and you
> can guarantee that however good the install/config routine is some
> lusers simply won't know what to put in the fields.

Debian did something like that, though I don't know whether it
was successful.

> Presumably this is why I see so much mail floating around with a return
> address of '@localhost.localdomain'...

Hate hate hate! What kind of name is it for a host, anyway?

> One query -I don't know how this applies to Exim, but I've seen it
> stated with Postfix that submitting via SMTP rather than via sendmail
> command is much faster - anybody know how they compare using Exim?

Judging by the number of checks Exim runs when receiving a
message via SMTP and over pipe, the pipe should be slightly
faster. But I haven't actually measured that. Postfix sounds
weird in this respect, though.

Vadik.

--
The ill-formed Orange