Re: [Exim] SMTP banner

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Ephraim Silverberg
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP banner
> Does anybody have any strong feelings about what the default banner
> should be?

I can't say that I have "strong" feelings but barring the 'compile number',
the rest of the information seems relevant -- i.e.

$primary_hostname   sometimes the domain seems to be in one country, but
                    is actually in another -- e.g. some dotcom's are really
                    co.il sites and you can often see this in the banner

ESMTP Exim          good to know what protocol/software you're talking to

$version_number     if there is a problem, I can search the net/archives
                    for similar problems encountered with this version

$tod_full           this immediately tells me what the local time is at
                    the site and if there are mail problems, gives me an
                    idea when I should phone to catch the technical person
                    in the receiving end's country

> It is probably true that none of the information in the banner is ever
> actually used by the client MTA.

Agreed, but when we're having a problem connecting to a particular domain,
I initiate an interactive session and the banner information can be quite
helpful.

Hence, I'd have the default banner as:

    smtp_banner = $primary_hostname ESMTP Exim $version_number $tod_full
Ephraim Silverberg, CSE System Group,        Phone number:    972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.        Fax number:      972-2-5617723
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim       E-mail: ephraim@???