Re: [Exim] can I use exim filters if I'm not the admin?

Author: Derek Broughton
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] can I use exim filters if I'm not the admin?
From: "Dave C." <djc@???>

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > > This would also allow people who only want filtering to
> > > ignore the rest of the MTA's capability.
> >
> > Using an MTA just to do personal filtering is using a sledgehammer to
> > crack a nut.
>
> Indeed, but exim has a unique filtering language. Perhaps when exim4 is
> done (and after you have a good vacation or somesuch), you might
> consider culling the filtering interpreter out, and writing something
> comparable to procmail, but that used the exim filter language.
>
> Actually, while we are on the subject of additional exim-like programs,
> an "exim POP/IMAP/webmail" daemon would be fantastic. Every other
> POP/IMAP daemon I have seen works, but is not nearly as powerful as I
> would like. Something with a configuration as flexible and powerful as
> exim's would be just fantastic. If I could code at all (not counting
> bash scriptery) I'd start work on one myself..

But that's called Exim, with an IMAP (or Pop or webmail) daemon. For IMAP I
use Exim, delivering to Maildirs, and courier-imap (also courier-pop3d). And
yes, I use sledgehammers to crack nuts :-) This amazingly powerful beast is
being used only to ensure that wherever I am, and whatever client's system
I'm on, my personal mail all goes to the same place, and I can read it from
any machine. I could just use Hotmail (which I have to do to send this
anyway, since my client won't let me out on port 25 even to use my ISPs smtp
server), but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun. I really can't imagine why
I would want the IMAP daemon to be part of Exim.
--
derek