Re: [Exim] FreeBSD ports for Exim documentation

Author: Dave C.
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: Philip Hazel, Johann Visagie, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] FreeBSD ports for Exim documentation
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:06:48 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> | Basically, we have a large number of precedents for the use of info
> | files in the base system, and I see no reason other than "I don't know
> | how to use info files" to break from the existing convention.
>
> An alternative way of looking at this occurs to me.
>
> If so many people are whining about it that I actually get annoyed, it
> must be something quite a few people want. :-)
>
> Given that it won't blow up anyone's computer, bloat the FreeBSD CDROM
> set beyond what can be stuffed into a small box nor cause Richard
> Stallman to be appointed Supreme Universal Overlord, I'll go ahead and
> add the plaintext version of the spec as well.

Ah. Thank you. Feel free to gzip it if space is a concern. zcat and
zgrep work as well as their counterparts.

I in fact 'do not know how to use info', nor do I wish to. Documentation
provided in this format only may as well not exist from my perspective.

I still contend that plain ascii text is the most universal format for
information (Ok almost, but when FreeBSD has a port for IBM EBCDIC
system feel free to continue the arugment. Of course, then I'll argue
for plain EBCDIC text ;))